It’s almost that time again – time to switch off the air conditioning and turn on the heat. With chilly fall weather on its way, you’re going to need warmer air inside your home to stay comfy and cozy. But making that change is more than just flipping a switch. American Air Heating & Cooling has five tips to help you switch your heat pump from A/C to heat.
- Change the filter – First, it’s time to replace your air filter if you haven’t done so recently. Just like when you run your A/C, your pump needs a clean air filter to ensure that your heat runs smoothly.
- Clear out debris – Go outside and inspect your HVAC unit. Remove any tree branches, leaves, and other debris off your heat pump.
- Clean the coils – Cleaning the heat pump’s coils will help it run more efficiently and reduce any smells when you first turn on the heat. However, you should call a heating contractor to perform this work as a part of a seasonal service.
- Set your thermostat – Once your pump is ready to go, it’s time to switch over the thermostat. If you have a programmable thermostat, review the schedule so you’ll be set for the entire season.
- Test the heat – Finally, make sure you test the heat. Make sure it comes on and warms up the house as it should. If you notice any problems, call your heating contractor for help.
If your heat pump needs repairing this fall or a routine maintenance call, know you can always call on American Air Heating & Cooling. We’re standing by and are ready to help whenever you need us.